playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Sentimental Journey...

Last Thursday I was enjoying the beautiful weather here in Seattle, and the company of my friend, we rode her horses. I had a good babysitter, that I knew I could trust with my children's happiness, and could feel comfortable leaving them for the three hours I had planned. It was indeed a good day.

It was also the day that the first boy I ever loved was relieved of the battle he had fought so long and hard. My dear friend Micah passed away in Colorado. After almost 10 long years of fighting a brain injury, seizures and ultimately a rare blood disorder, he left this life and started on his next journey.

I sit with bittersweet feelings as I write this. I feel so deeply for his Mother, Sue, who nursed him and fought so many battles, for so long. For his two girls who have been deprived of him, but not of a father, as other good men have taken that role. For his wife who lost him so shortly after making a family with him. For his brothers, who also sacrificed so much of their lives to be with him, and took some of the nursing responsibilities. For his sister, who labored to give birth only two hours after his death, knowing that he wouldn't meet her new baby in this life. Yet, I think of the hours and days he sat, probably wanting to run, to play, to do anything but sit. Now, he is free do do all those things. No more wheel chair, no more silence, no more dependence on those he loved, and who loved him in return. I have yet to meet a more selfless family. One who could teach the world of what it means to be "functional".

I will miss his smile. I will miss the mischievous sparkle in his blue eyes. I will miss the fact that even though he could no longer communicate with words, I knew that he knew me and was glad to see me. I could always see that he wanted to say "Katie love...what's goin' on?" and then he would just listen. I loved that I could crawl into his bed beside him and tell him all about where I'd been and what I'd seen, and he would listen, and hold my hand and inwardly laugh at my jokes.

I'm sad that I didn't get the chance to say goodbye, I had planned on visiting this summer but, I waited too long. I know that God has a plan for all of us and I will see him again, and then have the chance to tell him how much he meant to me, how much knowing him changed me, and made me who I am and where I am.

I'm grateful for, and love, his family who have allowed me to take a very small part of this journey with them. My prayers are of comfort for them as they make this transition into the next parts of their lives. My hopes are with them also, that they will go forward knowing they did the very best they could for him, and that he is now in the best hands, and will receive the best care.

So on a beautiful day, when the sun shone in Seattle, I lost my friend, and I will miss him.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Sorry to hear this Kate. I'm glad you have the right perspective about it- to know that he is in a better place now. We can't wait to see you guys this summer. Wish it was sooner :(

Linz said...

You are a beautiful writer and I am sure Micah already knew all the things you wished you could tell him :)

family said...

Katie,
thank you so much for all your care and support.. You made me feel so much happy today..We are the ones who are blessed to have you in our life..I will always rember your true and kind heart..
Micah loved you so, He also never met a stranger. I will let you know about services..We are thinking July 18th at Genessee park. Co
That is the family cabin where He and Britte were married..I think it would be fitting to say our goodbyes there..Sue

Hezstone said...

Katie bug- I am so sorry to just read this sad news! I know how much Micah has meant to you and you to him and how important he was in your life. You and his family will be in my thoughts.