playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, June 6, 2011

For All of the Times I Wish I'd Had a Camera...

I don't take many pictures. I probably could take really great pictures if I tried, I just don't have the desire to constantly be whipping a camera out to document my life. I am however married to the "Picture Nazi". Every photo is staged, thought out, planned, scrutinized...re-shot until it's perfect. This is the only reason I have any pictures of my kids. Thank you Mr. Bergholm. I mean this most sincerely.

Our number three child makes me wish I had a camera in my pocket all the time. (I conveniently forget about the camera in my phone. Really it's an OK camera, but it doesn't have gadgets, which truth be told, is my weakness.) I'm going to set the picture up for you in words...maybe that will be better, because I'll think those words out, scrutinize, plan, and re-shot until I get it perfect and hopefully you'll be able to see the picture I would have shot, had I had that camera in my pocket.

PICTURE THIS....We are walking on a beautiful sunny Seattle afternoon on the trails that surround our home. The light is green, because we live in a rain forest, and filtered through the tall trees. All three kids are running on the path ahead of us ducking in and out of the forest on either side of the path to jump out and scare us and each other. Liam is falling behind, slowly, slowly, slowly... he can't run and hold the great stick he has found that is the perfect height for him to use as a walking stick in one hand while trying to hold up his ten pound cargo pocketed shorts, with the other. His shorts are filled with big rocks from the storm water pond, little rocks from the path, full blades of grass, with the roots still on , and a few little sticks that we are "going to NEED to pack in the car and take to Lake Powell with us to start a fire". Every pocket is used, every treasure picked up. His shorts, which fit under normal circumstances are falling down around his legs as he tries to keep up with Elley and Anders, who are much older, and faster.

We suggest, "drop the stick."

"No!"

"Empty your pockets."

"No!" (this is where you get the dialogue about needing those rocks "just in case a crocodile comes out." )

On he runs, not fully frustrated yet, but trying so hard to maintain a good pace. Yelling ahead to his brother and sister to "wait for me!" At which point he stops and turns his dirty little face in our direction, smiles his sweetest innocent smile and laughingly says, "Mom! Look! I'm at Butt Crack Junction!" while wiggling his quickly-becoming-naked-butt in my direction. That is when I would have snapped the picture. While his little sense of humor was glowing, and his smile was as bright as the sun, and his little moon was just beginning to peek out.

Cameras are overrated.

5 comments:

Heather said...

That is too funny!! You painted the picture just perfectly :)

Mom said...

Kate at her best. I could see it all.

Julie said...

Cute, Cute, Cute!

Michelle Johnson said...

:) Adorable.

Unknown said...

Nice!


FIFA 15 Coins,just take a look here FIFA 15 Coins,you will take fancy with this site all along. Welcome to buy FIFA Coins in our store through following: http://www.fifa15online.co.uk/