playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, October 16, 2009

Emptying the Pickle Jar

I read a book a few years ago called The Christmas Jar, (don't recall the author) which inspired me to start a Christmas Jar of my own. Here is the concept...for one whole year (mine ended up taking much longer...) I would put in all of my loose change, and at the end of that year I would find some one in need to give the money to. I've been putting money into this pickle jar for almost three years now. Somehow it never really gets more than about three inches full. Currently the jar has about 16 dollars in it. I'm sure it would be a significant boost to someone who has nothing, but in truth, I couldn't even get the homeless woman in Wendy's to take my 5 dollar Target gift card I got for buying two boxes of diapers. So, after (almost) three years of saving...and also funding my weekly trips to the gas station to vacuum out the mini-van, I've decided to empty the pickle jar and put my hard earned savings into my new running shoes. I'm considering the fact that I've...

1. lost the whole message of the book, and,

(That might be it.)

I can't decide if I'm being selfish OR if I'm helping support my running habit without adding any undue stress to our family budget.

I'm going to give it a long thought as I put pennies into rolls...

2 comments:

Suze said...

Hey, you're someone who needs it too! Although you've completely lost the meaning of the jar. But I hear ya on trying to give stuff to homeless people. A group of friends and I saw a homeless man once and decided we would buy him some food and he flat out refused it. He said, I want money!

Hey, beggars can't be choosers.

As long as you help out others in another way, no need to feel guilty about using that jar cash for some good shoes.

Especially if they're really cute!

Lisa said...

Hey Kate, I came across your blog through Lindsay's. It's been a while, but I wanted to say "Hi" to someone I once thought of as a little sister. You look great!

Lisa Lombard Hamer...

Let me know if you find it creepy that I came to your blog. I will totally understand.