playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stake Conference Talk

This past weekend I had to speak in stake conference...pretty big grown-up stuff! Thought I'd post my talk so that all could enjoy. I wish my family could have been there to hear it, but in reality that would have been more nerve racking. Brian can tell you all how it really went, if you are wondering, but for now, here is the print version. ENJOY!

I love to run. Recently, because of a leg injury, I’ve been having to rest. I don’t rest well. Because of this particular injury, I’ve been spending a lot of time at Physical Therapy. During one appointment, the aide and I were talking about the differences between Slow and Fast twitch muscles. It was a fascinating conversation that I continued to think about for several days. In fact, it kept coming back to me and started to twist its way around the concept of building faith, much in the same way we build muscles. I’m grateful that the Lord blessed me to have those thoughts and to dwell on them because that is what I’ve been asked to speak on tonight: How I can build my faith.

The LDS website gives us this definition of faith:
“Faith is a gift from God, but we must nurture our faith to keep it strong. Faith is like a muscle. If exercised, it grows strong, if left immobile, it becomes weak.”

Human muscles contain a genetically determined mixture of both slow and fast twitch types of muscle fiber. This mixture is what separates the sprinters from long distance runners. Slow twitch muscles are programmed to be our endurance muscles. They are more efficient at using oxygen to generate fuel for continuous, extended muscle contractions over a long period of time. They fire more slowly, and can function for a long time before they become fatigued. It’s our slow twitch fibers that help us to run marathons. I like to think of these muscles as our “endure to the end” muscles.

Endurance muscles need a specific type of training. First, they need the chance to endure, good long runs. Next they need slow, consistent, weight baring exercise, the kind you do with little weights. In fact it’s those weights that do these particular muscles the most good. Finally and probably most important, and it pains me to say it, they need adequate rest.

Like these endurance muscles, our faith also needs a very specific type of training.
A quote from the talk “Help Thou Mine Unbelief” By L. Whitney Clayton given October 2001, states this:

Developing faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is a step-by-step, line-upon-line, and precept-upon-precept process. We promote the process of strengthening our faith when we do what is right—increased faith always follows as a consequence. If we exercise our faith daily with PRAYER, STUDY, and OBEDIENCE, the Savior helps our unbelief, and our faith becomes a shield to “quench all the fiery darts of the wicked”


I’d like to compare Study to the small weights one would use to strengthen endurance muscles. I believe that studying means much more than we can imagine. In order to exercise our faith we can study the scriptures, study the words of modern day prophets, study the covenants we have made with the Lord, and if we are able to attend the temple, participate and study there. Study our lessons both in church and in school, listen and respond to the still small voice, who is a great study partner.

I have a testimony that we can strengthen our faith in every situation we are in everyday, if we study the lessons out in our minds and apply the knowledge gained.

In Ether 12 :27 it states:
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

He has promised to help us become strong through study…opening our minds and hearts everyday will help us to build our faith muscle.

Second I would liken obedience to a good long run. Running is a learned art, which consists of constant tweaking. Obedience is also a learned art, and it seems to me that it too consists of a good deal of tweaking. Again if we consider that faith is achieved a little at a time, by our study, then, we can assume that we obey a little better each time we learn something new.

The LDS web site said this about obedience. “We can strengthen our faith by keeping the commandments. Like all blessings from God, faith is obtained and increased through individual obedience and righteous action.

When I run, I have a slow foot. Recently I met with a form coach to help me. After running behind me for several minutes he told me how to fix the problem. Two very easy fixes, but I have had to change the way I hold my arms. While I wasn’t running badly, the new information helped me to place my feet more correctly, and in a way that would get me moving forward faster, and with better efficiency than before. As I have practiced this new form, I’ve noticed that my leg fatigues a bit faster, as I have to use my muscle in a slightly different way. It may take a couple of good long runs to fix that problem, but with obedience to the better form, my endurance will build.

In much the same way, the Lord gives us great coaching advice on how to move forward faster, and with more efficiency, but we must be open to both the suggestions and the long run involved. Sometimes the suggestions will mean that we might fatigue a bit, but part of obedience is enduring to the end, by trusting that the coaching is for our ultimate benefit.

I have a testimony of obedience. It has created a peace in my life that nothing else can bring.

Lastly I’ll liken Prayer to rest…Like I said before, I don’t rest well. Rest is the key to recovery. A tired muscle never performs to the best of its ability. In fact, even endurance muscles fatigue at some point, in running it’s referred to as ‘hitting the wall’. At that point, it seems like nothing but prayer will get you through. I do a lot of praying during my runs.

In life I often ‘hit the wall’. Prayer strengthens my faith by bringing my will in line with my Heavenly Fathers’ and, it gives me an opportunity to give my cares and concerns over to someone who can and will help. Most importantly, praying gives me the ability to rest.

I love in the 34th chapter of Alma, when he is teaching the humbled Zoramites about prayer and he lists the appropriate times, and places, and reasons for prayer. I’ll paraphrase:
19 Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him.
20 Cry unto him when ye are in your fields,
21 Cry unto him in your houses, yea, morning, mid-day, and evening.
26 But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.
27 Yea, and when you do not cry unto the Lord, let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually

Just as I have trouble resting, I also have trouble handing my cares and concerns over to the Lord. Running has actually helped me to gain a testimony that Heavenly Father cares about all of the things that concern me. He cares how fast I am running, he cares how badly my leg hurts, and he cares that sometimes I am just not breathing well. He takes my burdens and carries them for me, so that I can run and not be weary. Mostly, I think he is just really happy that I’ve let him into the loop.

I have strengthened my faith by learning to pray, by studying out the ways that work best for me and by being obedient, even though sometimes I get fatigued by the process.
I have a testimony that prayer will indeed help us to strengthen our faith muscle. It will improve our study, and help us to be more obedient. Prayer will help us to find the rest that we need in order to endure all of the trials that face us.

7 comments:

Linz said...

Wahoo! Good talk :) I always like when people "liken" the scriptures to their own experiences. You write a great talk! However, how did you get roped into doing that? :)

Heather said...

Speaking in Stake Conference?? How scary- how did you get stuck with that? You did a good job. I hope your leg is healing and you can be done "resting" soon! When are you guys going to be in Colorado? We should plan it so we can see you guys again this year! Miss you guys :)

Suze said...

DANG IT! I KNEW I missed out on something!

It was a great talk and sorry I wasn't there to support you.

What's with the leg? I guess that's what I get for not keeping in touch. I'm a bad friend

Jennifer Moneymaker Owens said...

You're awesome Katie! I love your talk. :)

Kir said...

Awesome Kate! I wish I could have been there to hear it and support you!

Mom said...

Wonderful talk, Katie. You always do such a good job. Wish I could have heard it. I have never spoken in Stake Conference. You are awesome, as always. I love you!

Julie said...

I would never, will never have the guts to speak in Stake Conference. Good Job with the talk and the willing heart. I have just cursed myself by writing these words. So I will invite you when I have to speak in Stake Conference.